The Retief family has been making wine since they bought the farm in 1937, warmly welcoming visitors to the farm house and tasting rondavel. In those years, they made sweet wines and wine for brandy. Jean Retief, a traditionalist, persuaded her husband, Hennie Sr., to name their farm Van Loveren because of her ancestral connection. In 1699 Christina van Loveren left Holland by ship with her husband, Willem van Zyl, with the hope of a new beginning in South Africa. With her she brought her bridal ‘trousseau’ chest, which was passed down the generations and inherited by her descendant, Jean Retief. Today this chest is proudly displayed in our tasting room.
Click below to view our wine list in another window